Dr. Vesselin Baev, Associate Professor in Bioinformatics
Email: vebaev @ plantgene.eu
- BSc and MSc. in Biology
- BSc in IT
- PhD in Molecular Biology
English (6), French (3), Russian (2), Japanese (1)
Development of new methods, algorithms and computational softwares for exploring and interpreting genomic data in a framework of automated sequence analysis. Our current emphasis is on the small RNAs (microRNAs and small interfering RNAs) in plants and animals. Analysis of small RNA and transcriptome libraries from deep-sequencing data, expression regulation profiling, discover, and annotation novel miRNA genes, as well as identification of stress-related small RNAs.
Cloud-based analysis of NGS data, Galaxy tools development.
-EU COST Action member BM1006: Next Generation Sequencing Data Analysis Network.
-EU COST Action member FA1407: Application of next-generation sequencing for the study and diagnosis of plant viral diseases in agriculture
Ongoing EU Projects:
ELBA Project ID: 765492
Duration: From 2018-01-01 to 2021-12-31, ongoing project
European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie
Coordinated in: STICHTING VUMC, Netherlands
Papers in NCBI:
Papers in ResearchGate:
Citations in SCOPUS:
- Lectures in Basic Bioinformatics
- Lectures in Bioinformatics Analysis
- Lectures in Programming in Bioinformatics
- Lectures in small RNAs and NGS data analysis
Meetings, Conferences and Fellowships:
- 2004-2005 Marie Curie fellowship, in M.Tabler’s lab at Institute of Molecular Biology and Biotechnology, Crete, Heraklion, Greece
- 2004 International training workshop in Bioinformatics, Sept. 13-18, Heraklion, Crete, Unesco, Venice Of-fice.
- 2004 International training workshop – Onassis Lectures in Biology: Genomics, Bioinformatics and beyond.
- 2005 International training workshop in Bioinformatics, Sept. 5-10 Sofia, Bulgaria, Unesco, Venice Office.
- 2006 International training workshop in GRID systems, “BG induction to GRID Computing and EGEE project”
- 2008 “Plant Genomics European Meeting” (Plant GEM),September 24th-27th 2008 in Albena, Europe, Bulgaria.
- 2009 “miRNA Europe Meeting” 2-3 November , Cambridge UK
- 2010 EMBL, Non-coding genome conference”, Heidelberg, Germany
- 2011 RNA society, 16th annual meeting, RNA 2011, Kyoto, Japan
- 2012, Abiotic stress conference, Vienna
2012 Training School “Next generation sequencing data analysis with Chipster”, Helsinki, Finland
2012 “Next Generation Sequencing: What´s next?”, Uppsala, Sweden
2012 AllBio meeting, Milan, Italy
2013 The Next NGS Challenge Conference, Valencia, Spain
2014 “NGS Data after the Gold Rush” & COST Management Committee Meeting, Norwich, UK
2015 “Next Generation Sequencing: a look into the future”, Bratiskava, Slovakia
2015 Kick-off meeting EU COST Action member FA1407, Brussels, Belgium
2016 EU COST Action meeting FA1407, France, INRA Versaille
2017 EU COST Action FA1407, WG meeting, Czech Republic
- 2018 EU ELBA Project Kick-off meeting 1-2 Feb, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 2018 “Plant phenotyping for future climate challenges”, 20- 21 March, Leuven, Belgium
- 2018 “NGS 2018” conference, April 9-13, Barcelona, Spain
may-june 2013 visiting researcher University of Tokyo, Japan (Prof. Kenta Nakai Lab)
- 2012 BIOCOMP BG “International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology” 20-21 Sept., Varna, Bulgaria
- 2014 “NGS and non-coding RNAs data analysis“, COST EU workshop, 15-16 May, Plovdiv, Bulgaria